Thursday, April 21, 2011

50 Films for 50 States


I was inspired to work on this idea based on a series over at Critical Masses. Seemed like a fun challenge. It sort of tied in with my Geographical Movies list, and mine is just a list as opposed to CM's essay approach. It was a bit tougher to put this one together than I might have thought. I tried to rely mostly on the settings of the films as opposed to where they might actually have been filmed, but I had to cheat a bit to make it all work. As the Griswold's television above indicates, there's a whole lotta ground to cover here...


Alabama- THE PHENIX CITY STORY

Alaska- RUNAWAY TRAIN


Arizona- THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE


Arkansas- A FACE IN THE CROWD


California- THE LONG GOODBYE


Colorado- OVER THE EDGE


Connecticut- BRINGING UP BABY


Delaware- THE ROOST


Washington DC- BEING THERE


Florida- 92 IN THE SHADE


Georgia- BUSTER & BILLIE


Hawaii- NORTH SHORE


Idaho- IDAHO TRANSFER


Illinois- TUCKER THE MAN AND HIS DREAM


Indiana- SOME CAME RUNNING


Iowa- COLD TURKEY


Kansas- DODGE CITY


Kentucky- RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD


Louisiana- SOUTHERN COMFORT


Maine- POISON IVY(1985)


Maryland- HEAVY METAL PARKING LOT


Massachusetts- THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE


Michigan- BLUE COLLAR


Minnesota- A SIMPLE PLAN


Mississippi- ODE TO BILLY JOE


Missouri- ROAD HOUSE


Montana- RANCHO DELUXE


Nebraska- CITIZEN RUTH


Nevada- THE OX-BOW INCIDENT


New Hampshire- RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7

New Jersey- GOODBYE, COLUMBUS


New Mexico- CHARLEY VARRICK


New York- MIRAGE


North Carolina- MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE


North Dakota- THE PURCHASE PRICE


Ohio- HOWARD THE DUCK


Oklahoma- THE OUTSIDERS


Oregon- BREAKING IN


Pennsylvania- HIGH SCHOOL


Rhode Island- OUTSIDE PROVIDENCE


South Carolina- SLITHER


South Dakota- BADLANDS


Tennessee- LOLLY-MADONNA XXX


Texas- LAST NIGHT AT THE ALAMO


Utah- STAGECOACH


Vermont- WHAT LIES BENEATH


Virginia- TOY SOLDIERS


Washington- RUGGLES OF RED GAP

West Virginia- DEAR WENDY


Wisconsin- AMERICAN MOVIE


Wyoming- HEAVEN'S GATE

9 comments:

raculfright_13 said...

Wooow. Now this is an interesting post!

Dusty McGowan said...

You might have done the impossible.

I was excited to see my home state (New Mexico) represented.

There are many movies set here (just watched LIttle Miss Sunshine again last night).

My personal favorite, though? Sonny Boy, starring David Carradine in drag...like a slapstick comedy version of Texas Chainsaw.

Rupert Pupkin said...

RACULfright-Thank you sir!

Dusty-There were several other really good choices for NEW MEXICO if I recall. Tough pick. Wow, you know I think I've seen SONNY BOY(I certainly know of the movie), but if I have I can't barely remember it. I need to take a look at it very soon, thanks for the rec!

Jack L said...

now this is an awesome post!

I had never even heard of most of these films and had no idea which states they were associated with.

Great work!

Direct to Video Connoisseur said...

Really cool list. It's the ind of thing we don't really think about until we see it set out for us like this.

SteveQ said...

Now THAT's a list I don't think I could do! My fave film from my home state of MN is "Drop Dead Gorgeous;" I think half the jokes require one to have lived there. For next-door WI, I'd pick "Patti Rocks." For a lot of states, though, I'd be lost. (which was hardest, Delaware?)

Rupert Pupkin said...

JACK-thanks very much!!
DtVC-I totally agree. I know I was only conscious of location in about half of these films.

Steve-PATTI ROCKS, great call! Yeah DELAWARE was really hard, there were a few others where pickins was real slim..

Chuck Esola said...

Another great list! As a PA resident I found it interesting that you picked HIGH SCHOOL over something more obvious (like ROCKY or one of the Romero DEAD films) but it just goes to show how cineliterate you are. Great job!

Rupert Pupkin said...

Thanks Chuck! Yeah I actually almost went with BLOW OUT for Philadelphia, but I figured that with the new Criterion Blu-ray just coming out and whatnot that that film was getting plenty of attention. HIGH SCHOOL(and other Wiseman docs) are really fascinating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...