Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Favorite Noir Films



A friend of mine just asked me for a list of my favorite Noirs. In coming up with the list off the top of my head I thought I might just as well post it. I have mixed Noirs and Neo-Noirs together here. Also, arbitrarily left off SUNSET BLVD, DOUBLE INDEMNITY and TOUCH OF EVIL. Love them all but opted to list others. I'm sure I missed some though, so I'll be adding to the list.





1. THE LONG GOODBYE(1973; Robert Altman)
2.
THE MALTESE FALCON(1941; John Huston)
3.
OUT OF THE PAST(1947; Jacques Tourneur)
4.
THE KILLING(1956; Stanley Kubrick)
5.
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER(1955; Charles Laughton)
6.
DETOUR(1945; Edgar G. Ulmer)
7.
GUN CRAZY(1950; Joseph H. Lewis)
8.
LAURA(1944; Otto Preminger)
9.
HIS KIND OF WOMAN(1951; John Farrow)
10.
RIDE THE PINK HORSE(1947; Robert Montgomery)
11.
CRIME WAVE(1954; Andre De Toth)
12.
ANGEL FACE(1952; Otto Preminger)
13.
SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS(1957; Alexander Mackendrick)
14.
CHINATOWN(1974; Roman Polanski)
15.
THE BIG SLEEP(1946; Howard Hawks)
16.
NIGHTMARE ALLEY(1947; Edmund Goulding)
17.
IN A LONELY PLACE(1950; Nicholas Ray)
18.
PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET(1953; Sam Fuller)
19.
THE BIG HEAT(1953; Fritz Lang)
20.
THE VERDICT(1946; Don Siegel)
21.
KISS ME DEADLY(1955; Robert Aldrich)
22.
THEY LIVE BY NIGHT(1949; Nicholas Ray)
23.
THIEVES HIGHWAY(1949; Jules Dassin)
24.
PHANTOM LADY(1944; Robert Siodmak)
25.
HE RAN ALL THE WAY(1951; John Berry)
26.
ACE IN THE HOLE(1951; Billy Wilder)
27. THE LINEUP(1958; Don Siegel)
28.
WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS(1950; Otto Preminger)
29.
THE BIG COMBO(1955; Joseph H. Lewis)
30.
KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL(1952; Phil Karlson)
31.
NIGHTFALL(1957; Jacques Tourneur)
32.
99 RIVER STREET(1953; Phil Karlson)
33.
THE LETTER(1940; William Wyler)
34.
ANOTHER MAN'S POISON(1951; Irving Rapper)
35.
SCARLET STREET(1945; Fritz Lang)
36.
HANGOVER SQUARE(1945; John Brahm)
37.
THE BIG CLOCK(1948; John Farrow)
38.
FORCE OF EVIL(1948; Abraham Polonsky)
39.
MILDRED PIERCE(1945; Michael Curtiz)
40.
BODY HEAT(1981; Lawrence Kasdan)
41. PLUNDER ROAD(1957; Hubert Cornfield)
42. TRY AND GET ME(1950; Cy Endfield)
43.
THE BRIBE(1949; Robert Z. Leonard)
44.
HE WALKED BY NIGHT(1948; Alfred L. Werker)
45.
BLOOD SIMPLE(1984; Joel Coen)









14 comments:

symbot said...

Night of the Hunter is a masterpiece. Only a few films from that era have really given me a hypnotic, unforgettable viewing experience, totally unaffected by the older Hollywood filmmaking conventions, and this was one of them.

bp said...

outstanding list. glad gun crazy made the top ten. you left out murder my sweet (dymytrk) and two dassins: night and the city and brute force. but maybe those exclusions were on purpose?

night of the hunter is a strange little universe unto itself. damned fantastic.

J.D. said...

Excellent list! I would rank many of them on my own list. I'd also add:

THE KILLERS (both versions)
THE LINE-UP
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
AFTER DARK, MY SWEET
THE GRIFTERS

Rupert Pupkin said...

symbot- Agreed, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is amazing. Mitchum is one of my all time favorite actors so this is among my favorite films for sure! Such a bummer Laughton didn't direct again!

bp-I like all three that you mentioned and toyed with putting them on the list. Especially BRUTE FORCE. I decided to go with THIEVES HIGHWAY as my Dassin for this list(even though I doubled and tripled up on some other directors)...

JD- All good picks there sir! Can't believe I forgot THE LINEUP!! I was so psyched when that showed up on dvd! Sony has been putting out some excellent box sets!!!

Rupert Pupkin said...

JD-Added THE LINEUP to the list, plus the poster, which I like a lot...

Hal said...

DETOUR rocks. I need to see it again. No way I could ever leave TOUCH OF EVIL or DOUBLE INDEMNITY off, but I can understand wanting to list a lot of these lesser known films that need to be sought out. THE BIG HEAT is another personal fave. Outstanding list. I'd probably have to have DOUBLE INDEMNITY at the top of mine, but GUN CRAZY, LAURA, BIG SLEEP...they all belong.

Rupert Pupkin said...

HAL-yeah not sure why I wanted to leave them off the list, but I suppose it's 3 more spots to fill with films that might be a little less known. Was thinking of watching LAURA again this weekend actually...

J.D. said...

Yeah, I love that poster for the LINEUP. Eli Wallach is so good in that film. Such a oddball psycho. Great stuff. The DVD for it is excellent too. James Ellroy does a commentary and is in fine form. Very funny stuff.

SteveQ said...

"Detour" is still the best B-movie ever made. I'd add D.O.A. (original version) and the weird Blast of Silence... and would Lang's "M" be considered noir?

bp said...

yes yes,
The Lineup, the wheelchair/skating rink scene alone.
and Blast of Silence! I forgot that one as well.

Rupert Pupkin said...

Yeah I almost put BLAST OF SILENCE on the list. Very cool little film. D.O.A. is good too. and Steve, funny you should mention M, I was having that exact thought yesterday when writing the list. I guess it kind of is a noir, but I've never seen it listed with other noirs so I was torn. Am very excited about my new Criterion Blu-Ray of it though!

Mr. Peel said...

No DOUBLE INDEMNITY? Really? Oh well. Great titles on there anyway. I just watched THE LINEUP and loved it!

But no DOUBLE INDEMNITY?

Rupert Pupkin said...

I love DOUBLE INDEMNITY a lot but opted to list other titles as I mentioned in the intro. Not sure why. DOUBLE INDEMNITY, SUNSET BLVD and TOUCH OF EVIL just seemed like they didn't need my love when I wrote the list. Maybe I've just seen them too much, who knows. They are fantastic though and HIGHLY recommended to anyone who hasn't seen them. HIGHLY recommended.

Rupert Pupkin said...

DOUBLE INDEMNITY would certainly be top 5 pick if I'd included it. Now I feel dumb having not put it on the list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...