Monday, May 17, 2010

Lars Nilsen Interview/ROAD TO SALINA(1970)


I recently had the honor of interviewing one Lars Nilsen, head programmer extraordinaire down at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX. I had a great time interviewing him for the GGTMC podcast and you can hear our conversation here. Lars is one hell of a cool guy and possessed of a remarkable knowledge of cinema that knows little bounds. I have been a fan of his Weird Wednesday series for a while. Though I've never been to one of those screenings(merely because of geography), I make a point of carefully looking over each new calendar he releases. I can't recommend enough that you make a point of it yourself. So in addressing one of the questions I posed, he noted a few of his "holy grail" films(which I'll leave you to listen to in the interview). These were films that are largely unavailable and rarely screen that he would very much like to find prints for. After the interview was over, he contacted me to revise said grail film. He said that he would choose Georges Lautner's 1970 film ROAD TO SALINA. I wanted to make a little note about this choice here for anyone who might read this to help promote this little seen wonder of a film. I have had the opportunity to see it now and can wholeheartedly agree that this film needs to be sought out. A haunting, lyrical piece starring Robert Walker Jr(who Lars described accurately as a Mod Edgar Allan Poe), Mimsy Farmer, Rita Hayworth and Ed Begley Sr. I really don't want to attempt to encapsulate the film much as I would never do it justice. Well worth your time though, and with any hope Lars may someday find a print and screen it for Weird Wednesday.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I've always wanted to see this, as Rita Hayworth is my favorite actress. Where can I find it????

Rupert Pupkin said...

it's tough to find, may be some bootleg dvds out there from rare TV broadcasts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...