Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Favorite "One Crazy Night" Movies



Lately I keep getting inspired to do lists based on movies my family and I are seeing in the theater. Not sure why this has been inspiring lists. We certainly see way more interesting stuff at home. I should do a whole list based on YOR: THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE related films because that movie caused quite a stir at our house when I tried to show it to my wife and son(did not go over well). I like YOR quite a bit but I suppose it's an acquired taste. Anyway, so I think we may go check out DATE NIGHT this weekend. Another film that I'm keeping expectations low for, but will probably be OK. Makes me think of other "One Crazy Night" movies, which is a sub-genre I like a good deal. One of my all-time favorites, Scorsese's AFTER HOURS comes from this category. There's something very cool about spending one wacky evening with a group of characters. There's just something about that scenario that grabs me. Maybe it links back to my love for screwball comedies, I don't know(though some of my picks aren't comedies at all). Hopefully I haven't been too liberal in my definition of this type of film, but I guess it's fairly open to interpretation. I think typically these films are thought of as comedies and that makes sense. To round out the list, I brought in some other genres. makes for an interesting group of films....


1. AFTER HOURS(1985; Martin Scorsese)
2. MIRACLE MILE(1988; Steve De Jarnatt)

3. THE WARRIORS(1979; Walter Hill)
4. DAZED AND CONFUSED(1993; Richard Linklater)
5. INTO THE NIGHT(1985; John Landis)
6. MIDNIGHT MADNESS(1980; Michael Nankin/David Wechter)
7. SIXTEEN CANDLES(1984; John Hughes)

8. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD(1985; Dan O'Bannon)

9. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT(1934; Frank Capra)
10. AMERICAN GRAFFITI(1973; George Lucas)
11. CLUE(1985; Jonathan Lynn)

12. ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING(1987; Chris Columbus)

13. HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS(1980; Floyd Mutrux)

14. THE NIGHT BEFORE(1988; Thom Eberhardt)
15. TROJAN WAR(1997; George Huang)

Note: My wife mentioned HALLOWEEN(1978) as a possible for this list. I considered putting it on here, but figured one horror film was enough...

P.S. Be sure to check out my friend Mr. Peel's review of INTO THE NIGHT also. Fun Stuff!





20 comments:

symbot said...

What an interesting genre. How about Swingers? Collateral? Once you see this as a category of films, you have a way of linking totally disparate films that you would never otherwise think to relate to one another.

You should start a Wikipedia entry on this subgenre of films. I'd love to see what other thoughts people have on it.

Hal said...

I'd have to have room for HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS and DAZED AND CONFUSED on my "one crazy night" movie list.

Rupert Pupkin said...

Yeah it's a genre that really can tie lots of films together. Thought of even including DIE HARD and EVIL DEAD 2, 2 other favorites, but opted not to. SWINGERS is an interesting pick. Is it mostly one night though? Feels like there's several days in there(though granted several of the films on my list take place on more than one night). COLLATERAL would totally fit, just not a huge fan of that film(I like the 1st half or so). Is there no wiki entry on this genre? I'm shocked. I know I'm not the first to ever talk about it or think of these films in this way. I may have to start an entry indeed! Thanks for reading!

Rupert Pupkin said...

Jennythenipper you are correct maam about BREAKFAST CLUB. I just didn't want to stray too much from the 'night' thing. Good call re: KEY LARGO, totally forgot about that.

HAL- Really really thought about including DAZED AND CONFUSED(a favorite of mine, in my top 100)not sure why I decided not to. I guess I felt like enough stuff happens during the day that the film didn't focus just on the night(but, again a few of my picks stray from this formula). HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS will get slotted in the Honorable mentions right now. Like it, but like other Mutrux films more(DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE, AMERICAN HOT WAX, ALOHA BOBBY & ROSE).

Rupert Pupkin said...

You know what HAL, in thinking about it more I really need to slot DAZED in there. Adjusting list...

Rupert Pupkin said...

Damn! I forgot AMERICAN GRAFFITI too! Adjusted!

bp said...

yes, after hours, the absolute best. bagel and cream cheese paper weights. enough said.

swingers i think the 1st say, third is one night but after that it's a few different days.

i just saw bela tarr's werckmeister harmonies. less fun than those on your list. but compressed time. and damn good

Rupert Pupkin said...

BP-Have yet to see a Bela Tarr film, but WRECKMEISTER is in my queue(been wanting to see a Tarr film since I first saw the Bela Tarr/Black Flag shirt from Cinefile Video).
Bagel and creamcheese paperweight. Cough it up.

SteveQ said...

Some day, you'll have to cover my favorite lists, just so we can compare notes. How about cave women movies or giant spider films? Or favorite film in which someone's beaten to death with their own arm (there are three I've seen)?

Rupert Pupkin said...

STEVE- Those all sound like great ideas for lists! Wait what are the 3 films where someone is beaten to death with their own arm?

Rish Outfield said...

Bizarre thing is, I first saw AFTER HOURS, MIRACLE MILE, INTO THE NIGHT, and MIDNIGHT MADNESS at your house.

I ought to make a list of movie genres to aspire to make someday, and put "One Crazy Night Movie" on it, right after "Hitler Time Travel Flick."

SteveQ said...

Rupert: I'm still trying to recall the name of the "beaten to death" films, but I did just post my cavewoman list.

kariet_zeigler0802 said...

路過--你好嗎..很棒的BLOG.........................................

Rupert Pupkin said...

RISH my friend, so glad we got to watch all those flicks together! Many of my all times favorites as you know!

Steve-Your Cavewoman list is one I must see!!

jocoiro said...

Awesome list! This is my favourite sub-genre as well.

I have a few to add and hopefully you can add more of your favourites that just missed the list:

THE ICE HARVEST
NIGHT OF EARTH
MYSTERY TRAIN
JUDGMENT NIGHT
COLD DOG SOUP
LATE LAST NIGHT
MURDER BY DEATH
NERVOUS TICKS
GO
QUICK CHANGE
SOMETHING WILD

The last two aren't entire at night, but definitely have the same feel you're looking for. Any others you care to share?

Rupert Pupkin said...

jocoiro-
so sorry for my late reply, just saw this comment. Never heard of COLD DOG SOUP or NERVOUS TICKS, I have to see those! Great stuff on your list there though. I'm a huge fan of QUICK CHANGE, SOMETHING WILD, and MYSTERY TRAIN. Just a fun sub-genre all around. Still trying to come up with others. Great suggestions, thank you!

Hiland. said...

Eyes Wide Shut?

Brian Joynt said...

Ice Harvest and Judgement Night for sure...

Ned Merrill said...

NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER.

Marc Edward Heuck said...

In the tradition of AMERICAN GRAFFITI and DAZED AND CONFUSED, I would strongly suggest checking out THE MYTH OF THE AMERICAN SLEEPOVER.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...